Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Maze Mod in Review

I have been working with 2 of my co-workers to create a simple mod that was intended to just get our feet wet with regards to modding for UT2004. Our first project was a maze mod in which a player would navigate through a levels we each designed and collect 6 coins to progress to the next level. As of right now I've done all the coding I intended to do for this mod and am just waiting for completed levels from each of my co-workers, so we can add in the coins and declare the project a success. Following is what I did in Unrealscript
  • Created a new Gametype called "CoinCollector" (since the objective is to collect coins that just happen to be in mazes, this made the most sense to me)
  • Changed PlayerReplicationInfo to track the number of coins a player has collected
  • Created a CoinPickup that incremencts the coin count for the player that collected the coin
  • Changed the win condition for the game to be a player having collected 6 coins (didn't bother to make this work for multiplayer.. in fact currently if more than 1 player picks up a coin, the game will never end)
So that's effectively done. Could obviously be polished, but that's the gist of it and I want to move on to other projects since this one is mainly interesting as an introduction. Once we have everyone's levels with the coins in them I'll zip em' up so the internet at large can view the source and even play CoinCollector on the 3 included maps if they like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home